It’s hard to specifically develop a “permanent daily makeup routine”, believe me. Over the years I have tried numerous makeup routines ranging from “sparkly shadows”, to “darker eyeshadow tones”, to even “hardly any makeup”, but I have finally found my current every day makeup routine that includes my favourite makeup products! When I am doing my makeup everyday, I try to aim for a more neutral routine, as I love incorporating browns in my shadows. So if you are looking for a nice neutral makeup routine that is suitable for days at work, lounging around, going out, or just an everyday look then please keep reading!
- Firstly, you need to make sure you have a a nice clean face before applying any makeup whatsoever. This is then followed by moisturizing your face, and making sure there is no dry skin to affect the application of your makeup. After you are done doing this step, you need to apply a primer all over your face. This helps to ensure that your pores are covered, and there are no visible ones showing. When I first started using makeup, I never had used a primer before applying the rest of my makeup. I never really knew that there was an important purpose for this step until I started youtubing beauty video, and every beauty youtuber had used some sort of a primer. I then bought my first primer from Sephora in the Benefit section called “The Pore Fessional”. This is a product that helps to minimize the appearance of pores, and it is a translucent silky liquid. You only need a dime size amount of this product and apply it all over your face. I personally love this primer, and would repurchase it again and again. I have noticed a big difference after using a primer before applying my foundation. The primer has made my face look almost “photoshopped”, and has kept my makeup on throughout the whole day without coming off.
2) After you are done applying a primer to your face, you need to apply a liquid foundation. I am not going to lie, I have gone through a lot of liquid foundations, and have tried many different brands. As of right now, I am currently using a drugstore product from Rimmel London called, “Lasting Finish with comfort serum”. This product is a skin perfecting full coverage foundation in the shade “100 Ivory”, as I am not pale, but I am not super tanned. You can purchase this product at Walmart or even Shopper Drug Mart (personally when it come to drugstore products, shop at Walmart as they are way cheaper than Shopppers). This product is available in 7 different shades, and retails for $8.98 at Walmart. This foundation lasts up to 25 hours and is sweat and humidity proof. I really do like this foundation a lot, and even in the summer it does not feel too heavy on my face. I apply this foundation all over my face with a Beauty Blender. This is one of my holy grail products as I just recently started using this for over a year now. You can purchase Beauty Blenders at Sephora, as they retail for $26.00 for an original beauty blender. Yes I know. Why the heck would you pay almost $30.00 for a sponge?! Honest to god, after trying this for the first time as opposed to using my fingers or a foundation brush, my foundation has never looked better. It makes my makeup look flawless and sit beautifully on my face. You need to make sure that you are using the Beauty Blender correctly. Beauty Blenders should be distributed under cold water and squished a few times before application usage. In order to achieve the best foundation application you need to use a wet beauty blender as this expands the sponge to hold a lot of the product.
3) For the third step after you have applied your foundation, you need to set it with a setting powder. This helps to ensure that your foundation stays on all day, and dries up all the “sticky residu”. I love MAC Cosmetics, and will continue to use a majority of their makeup products for my makeup routines. For my setting powder, I am really loving the MAC “mineralize skin finish powder” in the shade Medium. It is always best to ask one of the cosmetic specialists working at the store to help you match your skin tone, making sure you are not going too dark or too light. This powder can be used on it’s own without foundation and still provide a nice coverage which I love. This powder retails for $37.00 in stores, but has lasted me a long time. I would highly recommend purchasing this powder.
4) After applying a powder all over your face to set your foundation, I usually move on to the contouring and highlighting of the cheekbones. I have a few products when it comes the different bronzers that I use when contouring my cheeks, nose and forehead. This is a very important step if you want to have more of a defined face structure. I do not go a day without highlighting and contouring my face, as it bring out all of my different features. I have two different bronzers to choose from when completing this step. The first bronzer that I am going to share with you is from Sephora and it’s called “NARS Laguna Bronzer”. This is one of my favourite products to use, and it has lasted me a long time. This shade brings out a very “natural” look to your face, beautifully defining your face structure. This product retails for $48.00 at Sephora. It is not too dark and not too light for my skintone, that is why I am in love with it so much. The other bronzing powder that I like to use is from Sephora as well and it is called “TwoFaced Chocolate Soleil” in medium/deep. Not only does this product have a nice pigment to it, but it also smells just like chocolate! How cool is that?! I just want to eat it. This product retails for $38.00 at Sephora and I would highly recommend using this bronzer powder.
5) When it comes to highlighting of the face, I have tried many different highlighters from many different brands of makeup. I have heard a lot of good reviews on this specific highlighter that I decided to purchase from Walmart called, “Maybelline Instant Age Rewind- Eraser for Dark Spots”, in the shade light. I had purchased the “treatment corrector” which helps to erase and minimize the appearance of dark spots under your eyes. This product does not feel heavy on your face, and has covered my dark spots flawlessly. I can now see what the huge hype was about! I use this highlighter under my eyes, on the bridge of my nose and on my forehead. I then take my Beauty Blender to evenly blend out my highlighter. This product can be purchased at Walmart for $6.29.
6) After contouring and highlighting your face, I now move onto my favourtite part of my makeup routine… the eyes! First, you need to make sure you prime your eyes with an eyeshadow primer. When I first started wearing makeup I had never used an eyeshadow primer because I personally really didn’t see the point in it, and had no interest . But my beauty bloggers, trust me.. this is a very VERY important step in your makeup application process. After trying an eyeshadow for the first time, my eyeshadow has stayed on my eye lids all day, and has not came off. Also, my eyeshadow has more pigment when it is applied to an eyeshadow primer as opposed to applying it on it’s own. I wish that I knew how useful this product would be earlier on, then only finding it recently because it is one of my holy grail’s for sure! The eyeshadow primer that I have been using is called, “Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion”, and it retails at Sephora for $24.00. This product has honestly improved the appearance of my eyeshadow, and I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase this product again.
7) After applying a potion all over your eyes, you can now choose what eyeshadow you would like to use. After purchasing the Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette at Sephora, I have fell in love with it ever since. I absolutely love all the shades that this palette has to offer. This palette offers a bunch of shades ranging from beiges to browns, to dark browns, and lastly black. I found that a majority of these shades you can use for “everyday makeup shadows”, which is what I love about this palette. The only downfall I would have to say is just how expensive this palette is at Sephora. It retails for $64.00, but I can honestly say that it is worth every penny, and you would not be disappointed. The current shades that I am loving is “Tease, half-baked, Suspect..” what can I say, I love them all!
8) Next, after applying your eyeshadow I like to apply a liquid black liner to the top of my eye lids. I find that this step helps to bring out my eyes more as opposed to leaving them looking bare. I am currently loving this liquid liner that I started trying called, “Loreal Paris-Carbon black liquid liner”. What I love about this product is how it was designed, as you can manage a good,sturdy grip when applying this product. This product retails at Walmart for $7.59, and has a felt tip.
9) After applying your liquid eyeliner to the top of your lids, and waiting for it to dry, you can now move onto your mascara! I have tried a lot of different mascaras over the years ranging from drug store products to high end products and I have currently found my favourite mascara by far. When looking for mascaras, I go for the more “clumpy and lengthening” mascara which adds a lot of volume to my lashes. Some may say I go a little overboard when it comes to the mascara but this is what I have found works best for myself. I am in love with the “Loreal Paris-Telescopic carbon black” mascara. Ever since using this mascara I have received numerous compliments throughout the week on how good my lashes look! This product retails at Walmart for $5.99 or a bit higher, but I would completely recommend this mascara as it is my absolute facourite and has not let me down!
10) When you are finished applying your mascara and letting it dry you can now move onto filling in your eyebrows if needed. Over the years I have overplucked my eyebrows so many times to the point where they now have spaces in them, which is sad. So I have resulted into looking for products to fill in my eyebrows and create a more “fuller brow”. One of my absolute favourite and only eyebrow products that I use is called, “Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow Pomade” in the shade Taupe. I have always had trouble keeping my brows to stay on all day without smudging and coming off. My friend recommended this product to me and I fell in love ever since. After applying it to my brows it has stayed on all day, and you only need very minimal of this product everyday which is nice. This product is a little expensive for such a small container but like I said, you do not need a lot. You can purchase this product at Sephora for $23.00 and it comes in many different shades.
11) Lastly, I apply a nice shimmery highlighting powder to my cheekbones, bridge of my nose, and my forehead. This helps to define your face more when it catches in the light. For this step I use “Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder” from Sephora in the shade Dim Light. This product retails for $52.00 at Sephora but I would highly recommend purchasing this powder. It sits beautifully on your face and looks flawless.